Christian County, Kentucky
Vehicle Registration

Registering for the first time

  • Photo ID
  • Current original (not a copy) of proof of Kentucky insurance* (issue date within 45 days**)
  • Money for fees and applicable taxes (check with your County Clerk's office for accepted forms of payment)
  • The current title (for first time title and registration applicants only)
  • The current registration receipt (if the vehicle was previously registered out of state)


Within Kentucky, motor vehicles (most often) are registered /renewed in the owner's birth month. Truck, motorcycle, and boat licenses are also issued. The vehicle registration certificate, proof of insurance, and payment are required for renewal. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order. As a reminder, it is required (by Kentucky statute) that your vehicle registration (or photocopy thereof) AND proof of insurance be carried in your motor vehicle at all times. For more information about apportioned license plates, please visit:

Internet Renewals

If your vehicle is currently insured with a company that has elected to provide information to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, then you might be eligible to renew your registration over the internet. The companies currently participating in the program are:
(4)    USAA
(5)    GEICO

The Kentucky Vehicle  Information web site is  In addition to registration renewal you can check personalized plate availability, review license plate designs and download frequently used forms.

Mail-In Services

Vehicle registrations may be renewed by mail. Your tax notice is mailed (by the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet) several weeks prior to the renewal period and provides instructions for the renewal process. Payment may be submitted in check or money order form. A $2.00 fee is added to cover postage and handling. Simply send the vehicle registration certificate, proof of insurance and payment to: 511 South Main Street Hopkinsville, KY 42240.

Interstate Transfers

When a vehicle is sold or is coming into the Commonwealth of Kentucky, services are provided to enable 1) Transfer of ownership involving vehicles sold within Kentucky, 2) Title and registration for out-of-state vehicles coming into Kentucky, and 3) Title and registration for the change of ownership on new motor vehicles. Proof of usage (sales) tax and proof of insurance is required at the time of registration. If the motor vehicle title is being held by a lien holder, the County Clerk's office must submit a request to that party for the title. Additional time for processing is required when this is necessary.

Dealer Services

Motor vehicle transactions conducted with licensed dealers may be processed in person.

Disabled Parking Permits

Persons whose mobility, flexibility, coordination, respiration, or perceptiveness is significantly reduced by a permanent or temporary disability may obtain a permit which will allow them to use special disabled parking spaces. Applications for permits are available at the County Clerk's office. A doctor's statement and signature are required.

Boat Registration & Transfers

Kentucky law requires all boats having motors to be registered if operated on public waters. Motor boat registrations and transfers are handled by the County Clerk's office. Registration certificate and tax payment are required for renewal. Boat renewals or property tax payments can be processed through the mail or at the County Clerk's office. Transfers require the previous owner's certificate of registration and/or title along with a properly executed (by both buyer and seller) Boat Transfer Record form (obtainable at the County Clerk's office).